Inline Weight Per Unit Area Gauge
BWQ 5000 material distribution measurment
The GreCon Weight Per Unit Area Gauge BWQ 5000 ensures a high product quality while the use of raw material and energy is optimized.
The properties of particleboard, MDF and OSB board depend on the precise spreading of the mat. The main goal of using a BWQ 5000 is the optimization of material consumption. A heavy board is still acceptable for the end customer, but the material and production costs are much too high for the manufacturer. A board that is too light will have poor quality characteristics.
The BWQ 5000 monitors the material distribution of loosely spread or pre-pressed wood based mats. Graphical and numeric representations enable the operator to adjust the forming process to achieve consistent panel quality while the use of material and energy is optimized. The permanent monitoring of the mat distribution across the production direction prior to the main press ensures an optimum production flow; belt tracking caused by imbalances in the mat can be prevented.
The recorded measured data makes it possible to easily trace production processes to expose optimization potentials. When the BWQ 5000 information combined with other process data in a higher-ranking process control system, further optimization potentials are revealed.
Weight Per Unit Area Gauge Principle
The weight per unit area gauge works in a non-contact method. An x-ray source is installed below, and a high-precision sensor above the material to be measured. Depending on the specific density and the amount of the material, more or less x-radiation is measured by the sensor. This is a measure for the weight per unit area (kg/m² / lbs/f²). Measurement is effected with a measuring spot size of approximately one square centimeter (.155 in²). Compared with other measuring principles, this point-focal measurement of the weight per unit area has the advantage that even small fluctuations in the material distribution can be detected and corrected by the operator.
The Weight Per Unit Area Gauge can be applied in the following applications:
Weight Per Unit Area Gauge Technical Information
- Microprocessor Control Console; industrial enclosure.
- Visualization PC for remote data display.
- Windows® operating system and software.
- Standard Net DDE interface (Wonderware®).
- Aluminum, lacquered NEMA 4 measuring head enclosures.
- Extruded, anodized aluminum O-Frame.
- Frequency-controlled linear drive.
- Traversing speed: adjustable from 6-30m/min
- Measuring accuracy: 1/15 lb or ±1% of the measuring value
- Measuring range: 9.5 lb/f²
- X-ray tube 33 kW .2 mA or higher
Weight Per Unit Area Gauge Features
- Fewer rejects and reduced raw material usage and waste.
- Significant reductions in press set-up and/or product change over times.
- Real-time monitoring for immediate adjustments to production.
- Adjustable traversing speed for adaptation to different production speeds.
- Measured data includes cross and length profiles, indication of Gaussian distribution curve, and product code reports.
- Automatic re-calibration after a specified number of courses.
- Automatic air nozzles clean the radioactive source for accuracy even in severe industrial conditions.